Tuesday, December 21, 2010

oh, limbo

Slept terribly last night. Moon eclipse? Well, it likely did influence my thoughts. I came to realize a few things, and have to deal with it. I really miss the whole Taos situation, I was very happy in it. But it's over. Here I am, in limbo. Again. And I'm sending myself to cold, dark Boston. Oof. I'm feeling anxious.

But really. It's not carving my own epitaph. It's just 10 weeks. And a particular project. A Drawing project. Here's the flyer:


Tough luck news:
  • I'm hanging at my parents house in Houston. Oh, Texas, you ignorant but warm bastard.
  • I will not be able to work on or finish my 'saddle' piece until I get to Jentel in March.
  • All my stuff totally reeks of eau de Pine Tar. Big time. Mom is not a fan.
  • I really want to work on the saddle piece, but can't. Crap.
  • I also will not work on those cowboy-ish drawings I didn't finish. I won't work. December is pretty much a loss, though I did visit lots of great friends and family, and this is the way the residency train rolls.
  • I have loads of paperwork to do over the holiday, of course I can't be making stuff- applying for a few sweet teaching jobs, the Pollock-Krasner grant, and doing research/sending packets to bigger venue curators. I need a high profile gig. Hello, fancypants curators: I'm ripe for the pickin!
  • Yet, I'll begin negotiations with another University gallery. It's become a rut I should get out of.
  • I'm edgy about my finances. It's hard to relax and have faith things will work out.
  • I have to deal with logistics of being carless in Boston. How to make light-tables and get the project started? It's a ton of meticulous work for only 10 weeks, but I need to complete it in that time. I'll have to learn to direct my interns. Wow, I get interns!
  • My mind is turning to my upcoming Pacific Crest Trail hike, I want to get planning! Have some gear issues to resolve, pinpointing mail drops, and most importantly how to turn it into an art project. Blogging on trail, sure. I'd love to find a way to record sound and have it play online in real time. Huffing and puffing, cursing at rainstorms or brutal heat. I like the idea of transmitting the moments. They can only be experienced in real time. All things must pass.

Okay, on the brighter side:
  • I'm feeling the ease of being at sealevel, coming down from 7,000' Taos. I have been running outside every day, and it feels like I can run forever. Hitting the gym and pumping iron with my parents is pretty cool too. Feeling pretty okay about my endurance level, but the most hardcore training will begin shortly. Thanks to Bill, fabulous friend and fitness buddy in Taos, for sticking with me through tons of hikes, runs, and yoga sessions. I hope to start the hike around April 20, and have my blog showing expected arrival times at points on the trail, so friends can join me for section hikes!
  • I'm trying to be more active with blogging, and now posting on my facebook fan page and on twitter. Thanks to Tania for pushing me to do that!
  • It's nice to be rocking a T-shirt in December. Can I move to California?

No comments:

Post a Comment